Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Samples Hooray!

I was sitting in my home office last night when my wife popped in. "Are you expecting a package?" she asked, with that "what did you buy that you didn't tell me about know, " tone of voice. Now, I am expecting a couple of straight razors that I recently bought from guys on one of the shaving boards, but this package was from Chicago and I knew they weren't coming from there.

I opened it up and to my delight it was samples from Truefitt & Hill!! Now, if you told me 2 months ago that I would be excited about shaving cream and cologne samples, I would have called you a liar. (And maybe a few other things too.) The padded envelope contained 6 cologne samples and samples of pre-shave oil, shaving cream and aftershave balm from their Ultimate Comfort collection.

My wife immediately went through the 6 colognes to pick out the ones she approved of. She picked the West Indian Limes and the Trafalgar scents as her first impression favorites, so they'll be tried first.

I've never been much of a scent wearer. I had a bottle of cologne in high school that I brought with me to college. I don't remember what kind it was, though I do remember it was in a blue bottle. I knocked the bottle off of my dresser in the first month of school and it broke, so my room reeked of cologne for most of the first semester. That was really the last time I bought cologne until my wife got me a bottle shortly after we moved in together. Its not that I don't like smelling nice, but I was always afraid of being that guy that wears too much and stinks up the room.

But exposing myself to wetshaving has opened my eyes a bit to the way that a good scent can make you feel better. So now comes the rub. One of the reasons I wanted to get away from the disposable cartridges was to avoid paying the high cost of the blades. Of course, now I'm just going to end up taking that money and spending it on shaving creams, after shaves and colognes. Oh well, as my wife says each time she comes back from the MAC makeup shop, that's the cost of beauty.

I had just thought yesterday that I was getting bored with wearing the Nomad aftershave every day and wished I had something new to try. Talk about premonition. I've heard great things about their creams, so I look forward to trying it.

No comments: