Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Good Shave or Good Enough?

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten in my early endeavors into traditional wet shaving was from one of mantic59's videos. I'm going to have to paraphrase, but the point was "shoot for par." Many of us weekend golfers aren't going to be able to go for the green in two on most Par 5's. Heck, even Tiger can't go for the green in two on every par 5 in the world. So you can't expect to get a perfect shave everyday, but if you know when you have done enough, you're going to feel better than going for too much and getting burned.

Today was a day where I decided to settle for good enough. I had a late night at the office last night and had to start an early one today. Stress level was pretty high this morning, and while the time spent shaving was helpful, I decided to skip my finishing pass. The results were good enough, looking good to the outside world, but as I run my fingers over my face, I notice spots where I could have done better. Knowing my state of mind this morning though, I probably would have just hacked at my chin and left myself with a very red neck.

I have been doing a 3 pass shave (one with the grain, one across the grain and one against the grain) followed by a finishing pass. Picking up a hint from LeisureGuy, I have been using a jojoba and eucalyptus product from JackBlack for a finaly pass. Now he has been experimenting with different types of oil for this pass, but I've been using this "Beard Lube" because its easy to apply and its clear (also because I got samples of it at Nordstrom). I examine my face for rough spots with my fingers and check for dark spots and polish those up with my razor. For me, this pass is the difference between a good shave and a good enough shave.

SOTD
Merkur HD with Derby Extra blade (3rd day on the blade)
Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad Shave Cream
Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger Brush
Crabtree and Evelyn Nobad ASB

My wife loves the scent of the Nomad products, so considering it was a late night last night, I am trying to make her happy to see me tonight.

No comments: